Monday, September 5, 2011

Dancing in the Minefields

When Nathan and I got married over three months ago, we knew the journey we were starting on together would not be an easy one. It kind of felt like we were sailing out on the ocean knowing there was a nasty thunder storm directly ahead but not know how big it was or what it had the power to do. It took us about two months to make it to the thunderstorm but we saw it coming. The waves were getting bigger  and the wind was gaining strength. Nathan got more hours at work and I was looking for work.We started really working together as a team in order to make it through. Then it hit. Waves crashing on the deck of the boat and the was wind sometimes too hard to pull through. We started working more and then added school in the middle of it. Where we stand right now, Nathan is working 38-48 hours a week and I'm working 28 hours a week. We are both taking classes and our schedules are opposite.I have class in the morning and work at night. Nathan works in the day and has online classes at night. This is very tough. We are sailing in the middle of our first real storm and we working together to make it through. Seminary and college is not easy when you are single and worse married. Last week I broke down and got up to make it through the rest of the week.

Even though I say all of that, I wouldn't change where I am. We are right where God wants us and He is giving us the tools to make it. Does it stink that I barely see Nathan? Oh yeah but I thank God for allowing us to not only pay our bills but put some into savings. I am thankful that God is providing for us even though it comes with some sacrifice. There's a song called Dancing in the Minefields by Andrew Peterson. It's about a young couple who get married and even though they struggle, they stick with it. Moving up to NC right after getting married was extremely hard but I can't imagine doing this with anyone else. I am more in love with Nathan now than I was three months ago when I married him and that also makes everything more difficult but it's worth it for where we are.

So in review of the past three months: the most difficult yet rewarding three months of my life.

Here's the song I mentioned above:

1 comment: